Quakecon 14: Doom unveiled for the very first time
This has definitely been one of the most hyped and anticipated games of 2014, and Id Software finally gave Quakecon attendees a very first look at the new Doom game.
First of all, this is not Doom 4. This is Doom, plain and simple; the game is a reboot. It takes place on Mars, and our beloved Union Aerospace Corporation is front and centre. Unfortunately we don’t have any footage or screenshots from the demo (hopefully that’ll be leaked later, if so, the article will be updated) but here’s what we know so far from various reports:
- The game is built on the new shiny Id Tech 6 (or 666, according to its developers). This means 1080p, 60fps and it’s a go for PC and current generation consoles (they are not next-gen anymore, since they are out, people should stop calling them that). Many of the original sound effects are also in, which is way cool.
- Varied enemies of many kinds, from small to huge – and plus, the return of several favourites.
- Gunplay is designed to capture the spirit of the original, with fast-paced run-and-gun at its heart, and some “new combat mechanics and features to evolve the FPS experience”.
- Melee attacks play a big role here – when you have severely damaged an enemy, he will flash for a while and you will be able to perform some pretty devastating hand-to-hand moves on him. Yes, sounds like Mortal Kombat meets Doom. You can expect jaw ripping, head stomping, heart removing, that sort of PG13 stuff. Hopefully those moves won’t become repetitive after a while. Also weapons like shotgun, chainsaw and plasma rifle were shown. You can be pretty sure that a rocket launcher will be a part of your arsenal as well.
- Blood. Lots of it. At a point, the hero had to rip a demon’s arm in order to use it to enter a palm print locked door. Also double jumps.
- No health regeneration whatsoever. Baddies will drop healthpacks though.
The game looks seriously cool and we can’t wait to hear more about it, and of course play it.